What is a Level 3 Charging Station?
Level 3, or DC Fast Charging – Level 3, sometimes referred to as DC Fast Charging (direct current fast charging), ranges from 200 to 600 VDC and can recharge an electric vehicle in as little as 30 minutes. This is a fantastic solution for charging on the go. However, there are still some major challenges Level 3 EV charging stations face, making them an impractical choice for most residential and commercial charging areas. You will typically find Level 3 stations purchased by your state government along interstate highways.
Why Level 3 Charging Stations Don’t Make Commercial Sense
- Specialized Infrastructure – Direct current fast charging has a much higher voltage than other chargers. This is because direct current fast charging involves electricity in its original form instead of its modified version, making it more volatile and dangerous. Your building would need to be well equipped to safely handle such an electric load capacity.
- Cost – Owning and managing a Level 3 station is incredibly expensive, sometimes upwards of $50,000. This is because they require in-depth technical knowledge and highly specialized equipment to install and maintain.
- Incompatibility – There isn’t one standard plug for all EVs. In the US, there are four competing standards: CHAdeMO, Tesla, SAE J1772, and CCS. So depending on the electric vehicle, they’d have different charging ports for Level 3 charging.
Different Levels of EV Chargers Comparison Table
|EVSE Level||Locations||Power Range (Amps)||Connectors||Currents||Avg. Costs|
|Level 1 Charger||Residential, Public||8-20 Amps||J1772, Tesla||AC Charging||$379-$495|
|Level 2 Charger||Residential, Commercial, Public||12-80 Amps||J1772, Tesla||AC Charging||$329-$2700|
|Level 3 Charger||Specialized Public or Government-Mandated Areas||100+ Amps||CCS, CHAdeMO, Tesla||DC Fast Charging||$50,000+|
Level 3 Charging Stations Are Not Suitable For Your Home
Not all EV chargers are created equal. Just because a charger is a Level 3 does not automatically mean it is the highest quality charger. When purchasing EVSE, there are other factors besides speed you should take into consideration:
- Most electric car batteries have a designated vehicle acceptance rate, which determines the fastest speed your car will charge.
- For example, if you have a Nissan Leaf, we recommend a 32 Amp charger (HCS-40) for optimal performance. If you purchase a charger with a higher power, you would still be able to regularly charge your Leaf. However, it would make no virtual difference in your charging speed; you would end up spending additional money for the same charging performance. For more information on EV charging times, you can download our guide to EVs’ Range Per Hour of Charging.
It is incredibly impractical to install a Level 3 DC charger at home. Instead, investing in a Level 2 charger will provide you the most long-term benefits.
Benefits to Level 2 Commercial Stations
Level 2 chargers utilize AC charging (alternating current charging), involving a modified form of electricity that is safer to generate, easier to manage, and more cost-effective for long distances. They are the most popular choice when it comes to home, commercial, or workplace charging.
- Efficiency – Level 2 chargers are highly efficient, and depending on the EV, typically need only a few hours to charge a full battery. Some Level 2 EV chargers can charge up to 5-7 times faster than a Level 1.
- Versatility – Level 2 chargers can be installed in most residential, commercial, or public charging spaces.
- Affordability – Level 2 EV chargers are NOT significantly more expensive than their Level 1 counterparts; this is a misconception. Instead, Level 2 chargers come in a diverse range of power (amps), features, and prices. It can be easier to find a reasonably-priced Level 2 station suited for you because of its variety.
- Incentives – Many state governments and private businesses provide generous tax benefits, rebates, and incentives for installing a Level 2 charger. You can review ClipperCreek’s list of EVSE incentives by State to learn more about benefits you potentially qualify for.
Can I Charge My EV with a Tesla Supercharger?
Tesla Superchargers can only charge Tesla vehicles. On the other hand, if you own a Tesla, you can use just about any EV Charging Station, not just Tesla branded stations. Tesla vehicle purchases include an adapter that can be used to adapt the Tesla connector to an SAE J1772 connector to be used with a J1772 station. All ClipperCreek charging stations are compatible with all electric vehicles, Teslas included (with adapter).
ClipperCreek’s Bestselling Commercial Stations
- Charges Two Vehicles with One Station
- Level 2 Charging, 240V
- 7.7kW of power
- Two 25 foot charging cables
- Two SAE J1772 universal connectors
- Suitable for charging all electric vehicles in the US
- Ruggedized – Install Indoors or Outdoors
- No Assembly Required
- Made in the United States of America
- Safety Certified by ENERGY STAR®
Why Choose ClipperCreek? ClipperCreek was one of the earliest EVSE manufacturers and has since perfected our standards to become an industry leader. Here are a few of the reasons why people choose ClipperCreek:
- High-Quality Manufacturing – ClipperCreek’s production values are reflected by the high quality of our products: excellent performance, long-lasting durability, and competitive pricing.
- Universal Compatibility – ClipperCreek charging stations are compatible with every plug-in vehicle, including Teslas.
- Safety – All ClipperCreek units are safety certified after passing extensive rounds of independent laboratory testing and are safe for both indoor and outdoor use under a variety of climate and environmental conditions.
ClipperCreek Level Two Charging Stations
Please visit ClipperCreek’s store to browse our extensive selection of Level 2 charging stations, with different power levels, price points and many other features:
Have More Questions? ClipperCreek is known for our extended warranty support and world class customer service. You can use the information below to contact our product specialist team to assist you with finding the right charging stations for you:
Explore Level One Charging Stations
Explore Level Two Charging Stations
11850 Kemper Rd., Auburn, CA 95603
Stay in the know on the latest EV Charging news and product offers!
Dreaming of a Tesla EV or Tesla solar panels? Score 1,000 Free Supercharger Miles by ordering through Jason's referral.